We all know that when preparing for travel it is important to keep a tight budget and be prepared for any situation. Reducing total trip costs is the reason why most travelers look for good deals on travel insurance. There are indeed times when looking for cheap travel insurance quotes is important but there are also situations when being too careful with your money will end up costing you more.
When to look for cheap travel insurance quotes:
As we mentioned above, there are indeed times when looking for a cheap travel insurance policy is acceptable. The first thing to understand is that a cheap policy will always be less comprehensive than a more regular priced policy.
Travel insurance can go as low as £3.50 if purchased from the right insurer but it will only offer a limited amount of coverage. So when exactly is it ok to look for cheap travel insurance quotes?
1. A low-cost travel insurance policy will do the job right if you plan your trip very carefully. If you are sure that the destination you travel to is medically safe, the restaurants you will visit cook the food right and you plan no dangerous activities then it's ok.
2. When traveling for short periods of time. A short trip will reduce the odds of anything unexpected happening that will require a lot of money to cover. This however does not guarantee anything, but can be a contributing factor.
3. If covered by an EHIC card. The European Health Insurance Card is a way for travelers to get some measure of medical protection while traveling. However this only covers trips in Europe and only in some medical facilities.
When not to look for cheap travel insurance quotes:
And then there are those times when you should buy the best travel insurance policy. Now keep in mind that a good travel insurance policy doesen't have to be the most expensive, but it has to NOT BE a cheap policy.
An affordable yet comprehensive polciy can be found if you know where to look and what to look for. One tip here: never buy more coverage than required. Some insurers may offer you many unnecessary types of coverage, try to avoid anything that you don't need.
Here are some situations when you shouldn't be cheap with travel insurance:
1. When traveling abroad. Traveling out of the United Kingdom will make your health insurance virtually useless. A European Health Insurance Card however will be able to cover you.
2. When traveling to a different continent. Traveling to the United States for example will leave you with no traditionla insurance at all. Only a travel insurnace policy will be able to cover the costs of an accident or unfortunate event.
3. When traveling for long periods of time. If you are a student traveling during a leap year, or someone interested in some volunteer work abroad you will probably be away for a long period of time. Long stay travel insurance is the best type of policy for these situations, both in price and quality.
These are some of the reasons why always searching for cheap travel insurance quotes is not the best habbit and should only be done in certain.